Skip to main content


Showing posts from April, 2015

United States: New Sec Rules Allow Private Companies Access To Larger Amounts Of Capital (Regulation A+)

Originally posted on Mondaq
Many companies should be able to take advantage of new SEC rules that will permit them to sell up to $50 million of securities to investors in a 12-month period without "going public."
TWO TIER SCHEME Rules for the new Regulation A+ avenue for raising capital, which were announced by the SEC on March 25, provide for a two-tier system as follows: Companies will be able to offer up to $20 million worth of securities to investors in Tier 1 offerings generally without having to provide audited financial statements or ongoing reports to the SECCompanies that wish to raise from $20 million to $50 million will be able to do so by means of a Tier 2 offering, which will require audited financial statements for investors and ongoing annual and semiannual reports to the SEC that will be less detailed than public company reports HIGHLIGHTSMost U.S. or Canadian based private companies will be eligibleMost securities (other than asset-backed securities) will be…

Hear It From The Experts: Stephen Mason on What You Need To Know About Representing Startup Companies

This week's Hear It From The Expert features Stephen Mason, an intellectual property lawyer who specializes in giving patent law advice to major corporations and startup companies.  He received his Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from Texas A&M University and his Juris Doctorate degree from Baylor University.  He now works at Meyertons, Hood, Kivlin, Kowert, & Goetzel in Austin, Texas, where he focuses a good amount of time helping startup companies expand.
This post was written by Jake Jensen from Jake The Film Law Guy and Hoa Nguyen.

Q:What are the differences between representing Fortune 500 Companies and representing startup companies? A: The primary difference between representing Fortune 500 companies and representing startups is that when a Fortune 500 company rings your phone, the call is coming from another lawyer, and because the call is from another lawyer, he/she packages the problem and usually has a specific legal solution in mind. He/she is usu…

Hear It From The Expert: Oliver Massmann In Practicing Law As A Foreign Attorney in Vietnam

This week's Hear It From The Expert features Oliver Massmann, General Director at Duane Morris Vietnam LLC. Mr. Massmann has practiced law in Vietnam for 25 years and has advised the Vietnamese Government in several high-level legal matters, including the country's membership at the WTO. He is the only foreign lawyer elected to be a member of the Supervisory Board PetroVietnam Insurance Company, the largest industry insurer in Vietnam. He is the only foreign lawyer who is teaching law in the Vietnamese language at the Ministry of Justice, and the Foreign Trade University in Hanoi. He is also the only foreign lawyer who is presenting to the National Assembly ("Quoc Hoi").

Q: As a foreigner, why did you want to live and practice law in Vietnam? A: I have been living in Vietnam for 25 years now, and I really like the nature of Vietnamese people. They are one of the most pragmatic people I have ever seen. Pragmatism is very important. German people are different; we are v…

China: China Requires Work Visa Instead Of Business Visa For Certain Short-Term Work Tasks

Originally posted on Mondaq
As of 1 January 2015, with the implementation of the new interim regulations issued by China's Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security ("MHRSS"), China has further tightened immigration requirements for foreigners coming to China for short term work tasks.

Short-term tasks The interim regulations are contained in the Circular Renshebufa [2014] No. 78 issued by MHRSS (the "Circular") and concern the visa/permit requiements and application procedures for foreigners' short-term work tasks. Under the rules of the Circular, if a foreigner comes to China for one of the following tasks for a period of up to 90 days (the "Short-Term Task"), he/she must obtain a work visa (i.e., Z visa) and other permits, instead of a business visa (i.e., M or F visa): Performing tasks including those involving technology, scientific research, management and general guidance with a China business partner;Conducting training or trials at …